Motorcycle accidents often have devastating consequences. A serious motor vehicle injury can require extensive rehabilitation. Due to the relative lack of protection, motorcyclists are at an elevated risk for sustaining injuries in accidents. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, an estimated 82,528 motorcyclists were injured in 2020. This statistic illustrates the danger that people riding motorcycles can face. This is why it is important for motorcyclists to understand the kinds of injuries they could suffer. As a motorcyclist, knowing about some of the common injuries can help you understand what treatment you should seek in the case of an accident. Severe injuries require immediate medical attention and sometimes even surgery. However, surgery is not the final step to recovery. Receiving the right post-surgical rehabilitative care can be essential to a quick and complete recovery.
Common motorcycle accident injuries
- Head injuries — Head injuries are a significant concern in motorcycle accidents. While wearing a helmet is essential for safety, a helmet can not always prevent injuries. Helmets tend to reduce damage, but head injuries can still happen. Major head injuries like traumatic brain injuries or skull injuries should be medically addressed as soon as possible. After an accident, concussions are another common kind of head injury. While concussions range in severity, it is important to allow the brain to recover after any concussion. Accidents can also cause whiplash, which can cause severe neck pain.
- Joint dislocation — Motorcycle accidents can lead to dislocated joints throughout the body. The shoulders and hips are particularly vulnerable. In some cases, dislocation is not obvious right away. Numbness and tingling around the joint can be telltale signs. Continual shoulder pain can reveal a dislocated shoulder joint. In the same way, a dislocated hip will often cause chronic hip pain. Pain from joint dislocation may be accompanied by visible swelling.
- Spinal cord injuries — The impact of a motorcycle accident can lead to serious spinal trauma. Damage to the spinal cord can have a lifelong effect, often causing chronic back pain. Depending on the injury’s severity, individuals can also lose sensation in areas of the body. This is because damage to the spinal cord can disrupt the whole nervous system. If nerves in the hands or feet are damaged, they can cease to function properly. When dealing with an injury like this, managing symptoms is vital. Using strategies to alleviate chronic pain, for example, can help significantly as you navigate recovery options. One great option for managing symptoms and enhancing recovery after injury is physical therapy.
Benefits of physical therapy for motorcycle accident injury recovery
- Pain relief — Pain can last for a long time after the event of an injury. If you underwent surgery after your injury, you may experience post-surgical pain as well. Physical therapy offers a way to alleviate your pain while addressing its root causes. This approach combines short- and long-term solutions to optimize comfort at every step. With modalities like dry needling, you can feel pain relief quickly without using medication.
- Flexibility restoration — After a motorcycle accident injury, your mobility may be limited. This is a normal part of the process. Working with a physical therapy specialist, you can gradually build your strength and range of motion back up. Guided stretches are one great way physical therapy can help restore flexibility in injured joints. Physical therapy can also help with weakness after injury. Conditioning programs can help rebuild muscle strength and endurance. With a holistic approach, your physical therapy specialist can help you regain functional abilities.
- Scar management — Road rash and surgical incisions can leave scar tissue. Large amounts of scar tissue can cause complications later on, such as restricting joint movement. By promoting natural healing, physical therapy can minimize scar tissue. Physical therapy specialists can utilize manual therapy to mobilize and break up scar tissue. This approach is meant to encourage blood flow, which can lead to healing in the affected area.
Alliance PTP can help find expert physical therapists near you to address your motorcycle accident injury
You probably don’t have to go as far as you think to get help with recovering from a motorcycle accident injury. After all, Alliance Physical Therapy Partners has practices across the country where you can find the physical therapy you need.
And if there isn’t one near you, don’t worry! We also offer highly effective and affordable virtual care in nearly every U.S. state.
So, don’t keep letting your symptoms affect your day-to-day life. Get in touch with our team today so we can help you find the physical therapy that’s right for you.